Thursday, October 11, 2007

Kevin, Hannah and I went to my parents this year for Thanksgiving. They still live in Cobourg where I was born and raised. It is always nice to go home as I love Cobourg, but it is always hard to see the changes that continue to happen to my hometown.

The rock beach is one of our most favourite places to visit when we go to Cobourg, but there have been some major changes to it in the last little while. People who live along the beach have now put up signs prohibiting people from walking all the way along the beach (like we did when we were kids!). They claim they own the land right up to the water. As Kevin pointed out, this means their property line changes depending on the the tide! I understand their frustration with people leaving garbage and it making it's way onto their property, but come on!

Now there is only a very tiny section of beach that you can walk and enjoy. It really threw all of us for a loop and made me quite sad. I am usually okay with change, but this hit me harder than I thought it would. Kevin also pointed out that these are probably the same people who complained about the "intrusive" noise of the train whistles as they go through town. What's next?

All was not lost on this trip. We had a wonderful time with my parents in their new house (which I am realizing I don't have a single picture of!). My brother joined us over the weekend and we ate good food and played LOTS of Scrabble! The love of family never changes . . .

I guess in the end as long as my family is in Cobourg it will always be home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

on my rare visits back to PEI, I always find the changes shocking...mind you, on PEI, the changes are all about making the place MORE appealing to visitors (tourists). Glad to hear your family is well.